Browse By Repository:

 
 
 
   

Effect Of Palm Oil Trunk Dust To Polyurethane Noise Reduction Properties

Rahim, Masitah (2017) Effect Of Palm Oil Trunk Dust To Polyurethane Noise Reduction Properties. Project Report. UTeM, Melaka, Malaysia. (Submitted)

[img] Text (24 Pages)
Effect Of Palm Oil Trunk Dust To Polyurethane Noise Reduction Properties.pdf - Submitted Version

Download (574kB)

Abstract

Recently, an oil palm industry in Malaysia has generated a large among such as oil palm trunk (OPT), oil palm frond (OPF), and oil palm fruit bunch (EFB). The remaining consist of biomass can develop new material composite, where the (OPT) used as a filler and Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) as a matrix. This study to investigate the effect of oil palm trunk (OPT) dust to noise reduction damping of Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU). Prior to fabrication, the filler was treated with 2% sodium hydroxide (NaOH) treatment and dried using drum dryer machine at 100°C for 6 hours. Composite sample with five different volume fractions of oil palm dust was fabricated, (0 wt%, 10wt%, 20wt%, 30wt%, and 40wt% ). The samples were prepared by a compressive molding method. The sound absorption coefficient (SAC) and sound transmission loss (STL) value of the composite were measured by using the impedance tube according to ASTM E1050-98 for conducting the ACUPRO System. The density of Sample 1 is highest due to pure thermoplastic polyurethane with 1.146 g/cm3 of density and sample 5 is lowest because of the higher of dust loading with 1.004 g/cm3. For SAC result, sample 5 have higher sound absorption coefficient at 2000Hz-4000Hz, it can absorb the sound until the 30% and the remaining 70% is sound reflection compared to others sample. 5dB. However, STL result for sample 5 giving a lower sound transmission loss which is 15.9dB. So it was proved effective in sound reduction. As a conclusion, the highest dust content give a better properties sound absorption coefficient (SAC) and sound transmission loss (STL) properties of the thermoplastic polyurethane.

Item Type: Monograph (Project Report)
Uncontrolled Keywords: Composite materials - Analysis, Oil palm, Polyurethanes - Biotechnology
Subjects: T Technology > T Technology (General)
T Technology > TP Chemical technology
Divisions: Library > Projek Sarjana Muda > FTK
Depositing User: Mohd Hannif Jamaludin
Date Deposited: 28 Nov 2018 09:12
Last Modified: 28 Nov 2018 09:12
URI: http://eprints.utem.edu.my/id/eprint/22050

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year